Tuesday, May 6, 2008

More action

I went to see Ironman Friday night with TD. I really enjoyed the movie. I've been looking forward to this movie since I saw it first mentioned over a year ago. I admit, that I didn't follow Ironman when I was younger, but I know the basics. I'm sure there are die-hard fans that were upset with some inaccuracies, but for me, as a person who knows and respects comic book movies, but is not an expert, it was a very entertaining flick.

My only caveat is that I wished there was more action. Like any origin story like this, we have to spend half the movie building a back-story and building the characters. By the time that they have caught everyone up with the story, then the action happens. I understand it has to be done for the people who have no idea about the movie's concept. But this is based on a pretty major comic book franchise. This isn't Hellboy, or Blade, or something. Ironman is a cornerstone of the comic genre. Same thing with Spiderman, Superman, Batman, the Hulk, etc. We don't need it.

This is how I'd started the movie:

Opening scene: Fade into a close-up of Robert Downey Jr's face.

RDJ: "Hi. I'm Tony Stark. I'm also Ironman. Now let's go kick some ass!"

Ironman visor pops down over his face and boom, two hours of him bringing the pain to baddies.


Ok, I'm kidding. John Favreau did a great job. I have no complaints. RDJ stole the show, but I expected him to. I like him as an actor. All-in-all, a very good film. I'd say the best comic book movie thus far, right up there with Batman Begins and Spiderman.

No comments: