So, my dad has been diagnosed with cancer. Over the past month or so our lives have been a series of ups and downs as we've gone through his treatment with him. He is doing ok right now, but there is still a long road ahead.
I don't mention this to seek pity or condolences. In fact, that is exactly why I have tried not to mention it earlier except to a few close friends. I don't like the attention it brings, nor how it makes people feel. I feel bad that when people ask how I'm doing, I give them bad news that usually makes them feel uncomfortable. So, I tend to keep it to myself.
But those I do tell, they all are uncomfortable and don't know what exactly to say. And I don't know what to say in return. Generally they say, 'I'm sorry." But I really don't know how to respond to that. Do I thank them for feeling sorry? That doesn't seem right. Do I tell them that I'm sorry too? Of course I am. I just do not know the proper response, without it sounding trite or condescending.
So, I try not to tell people my problems. It's my problems, not theirs. And generally, they don't want to know my problems. Who really wants to know someone else's problems. People have their own problems, they don't need or want to stress over other people. So I just keep to myself most of the time. Saves them and myself from being uncomfortable.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment